Sunday, November 9, 2014

C4T 3

physics with a diagram of an atom
John Burke is a high school physics teacher. In his post Best Class Ever-- when I leave the room, he explains how he had a meeting to go to one day. He left his students a complex question to work on together. He told the class that they would be recorded, and he would watch the video to view their progress. He posted the video on his blog. He was bragging about how well the students worked together and questioned how he could continue this quality of work. In my comment, I told him how this was an example of project based learning and how we've been discussing this in my class for the past few weeks. I told him that it is more enjoyable for the students, and that if he continues to have classes like set up like this, his students will continue to do well.

In his post A Solution to Comment Writing Dread: Video Reflections, Burke explains a new strategy he wants to implement for giving feedback to students. He is contemplating requiring each student to make a 5 minute video with the following criteria:

  • Show me an example from your work that shows strong understanding of a physics concept.
  • Show me an example from your work that shows improvement in your understanding of physics.
  • Show me an example from your work that shows a concept that you are still working to improve your understanding.               
In my comment, I told Burke that I thought this would be a great idea. It gives the students a chance to explain why they think they have improved or how they have improved. It would take less time to watch the videos than to hand-write comments on paper. The feedback would be more meaningful to the student because they would have a chance to explain themselves. Overall, it would be more beneficial to the students and the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment