Friday, November 28, 2014

Blog Post 5 Part B

This is a follow up post about my Personal Learning Network (PLN). Due to the convenience, I do most of my networking on my smart phone. I always have it with me no matter where I go. Some of the apps I use frequently are Skype, Google Drive, Playground, and even Facebook.

I use Skype and Google Drive to keep in contact with my EDM310 Group. We tend to have varying schedules, so meeting in person can become a huge hassle. Skype allows use to video-conference one another. We can, then, discuss ideas for upcoming assignments.

Google drive allows us to share files with each other. We can all access them at the same time and see real-time revisions. It's instant, there is no delay, and only one central file.

Image of Wordle on PLNsPlayground is an app that I've been using in the classroom that I do my field experience hours in. Mrs. Malone allows me to implement projects and activities when we have extra time. The app has video resources for activities to do with your students. The teacher has their own account, and each student has an individual account. The teacher can post a challenge for the students to do in teams. Their progress is charted through the app as a map. Each team is represented by a color. The students watch an instructional video on how to play the game before it begins. The first team to get to the finish line wins. The kids really enjoy playing these games and learn a lot from them.

As odd as it may seem, Facebook is a great tool for networking. I use it to keep in contact with my old teachers. Anytime I have a question about something, all I have to do is send them a message. They give me advice based on their experiences. It is extremely helpful to be able to connect with someone experienced in your future career that you already have a relationship. I keep in touch with my old high school counselor through Facebook. She told me that if I ever need her help with anything to call her. She now works in Mobile's school system. That works out in my favor if I ever need to visit a school or do a project in a school. She'd be able to set that up for me.

My PLN is small but strong. It's definitely something that require a lot of time and attention to be useful. I hope to continue building onto it throughout the years. It will be very beneficial to me as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment