Sunday, September 14, 2014

C4T # 1

For my first C4T assignment, I received Nathan Horne. He is the founder of iPhys-Ed.com. He uses this website to promote the uses of technology in physical fitness. In the first post I commented on, Horne explained how he used Google Sheets to provide students, parents, grandparents, and many others with live scores from the Swim Gala he was coaching in. Google Sheets is much like Excel. You can enter a formula in each cell, and have the document do all the work for you. After creating the document, Horne made it public so that anyone with a mobile device could view it. This provided everyone with access to real-time scores-- even the parents that couldn't make it to the event due to work. In my comment, I told Horne that I thought it was a great example of how technology is useful to 21st century teachers. The document can be used over and over again, it kept everyone engaged in the activity that was going on, and was accessible to parents that were unable to attend the event.

#100ActiveDays logoIn the second post I commented on, Horne described an event called #100ActiveDays. The point of the event is to stay active for 100 days doing a variety of activities: hiking, kayaking, running, etc.
shoe print with the words get active inside of it






You can join the movement by doing the following:
1. Follow them @100ActiveDays or like them on Facebook.
2. Register here.
3. Post your active picture to twitter, instagram, and Facebook using the #100ActiveDays

In my comment, I included the obesity prevelance rate for Alabama (33%). I told Horne that this challenge would be a great way to get active and combat the rate of obesity in our state. We could instill a love of being active in our children that they could carry with them into adulthood. I think the best way to incorporate this into our schools is to pair up with another teacher and have physical activity competitions during recess.

No comments:

Post a Comment